Friday, December 5, 2008

Trip To The Blood Connection


The date was Monday, October 6, 2008 and I was still feeding off the excitement of being crowned Miss Greater Pee Dee 2009. Having had a crown before I knew one of the first things I needed to do was to put together a support team that would help me market my platform. If there is one thing our state directors preach to us (especially Mrs. Gail Sanders) it’s to find a group of people to assist you through your journey to Miss South Carolina.

I had already been given the opportunity on Sunday night to share my experience of the pageant weekend and platform with the Youth at Mountain View Baptist Church (the church my dad pastors and I attend). This was good practice for me, because I realized that I really needed to explore become familiar with blood donation more than ever before.

On Monday my father and I went to The Blood Connection in Seneca, SC. The trip was two-fold. First, I wanted to start my support group at the location I felt I could do the most good. Second, I felt that I could not encourage people to give blood if I wasn’t willing to donate myself. So, one of the actions I took as the new Miss Greater Pee Dee was donating blood. I had given blood many times before without any problems. This time was no different – so I thought.
Following me introducing myself to the staff, my general evaluation and health screening and my donation, we left the center and went to Clemson, SC. I wanted to go and see one of the greatest friends ever, Miss Ladonn, and tell her the good news. While at her shop I began to feel light headed and when I went to sit down, you guessed it, out I went – like a fifty year old light bulb!!!! It took them a while to get me awake. When I came to, I had no idea what had happened. I felt strange. I felt weak. I felt confused. I felt pain in my nose. When I passed out, I fell face forward, taking out a display of shoes and a falling in a 5 foot plastic display and scrapping my noise and head. I looked horrible. Perfect timing wouldn’t you say? But my parents and family all assured me that wounds heal – and they have.
Now you may be thinking, "bet she will never give blood again". Well you are wrong. Where it true that some people have minor complications from giving blood, the risk and the benifits are worth it all! My problem was three fold: (1) Not eating correctly before I gave. (2) low iron and (3) I ws diagnosed with a thyroid problem. Actually, I credit my blood donation with helping me prevent a bigger problem!!!!

So until next time, when promise my news will be good news, May God bless you all!

No comments: